List Of Active Companies Under TBI in Musaliar College
- Root5-Click to View Details about Company
The need for instruments such as TBI has been recognised the world over for initiating technology led and knowledge driven enterprises. Studies also show that such mechanisms help not only in the growth of technology based new enterprises but also in improving their survival rate substantially (from 30 per cent to over 70 per cent). TBIs also facilitate speedy commercialisation of research outputs. The TBIs usually provide following types of services:-
- Market survey/ marketing assistance,
- Business planning and training,
- Organising management/ technical assistance,
- Assistance in obtaining statutory approvals,
- Information dissemination on product ideas/technologies,
- Syndicating finances,
- Arranging legal and IPR services,
- Using facilities of the Host Institute (HI) at nominal charges,
- Work space for a limited period
- Common facilities of TBI such as communication, conference, computers.
Thus, the TBIs besides providing a host of services to new enterprises (and also to existing SMEs in the region) also facilitate an atmosphere congenial for their survival and growth. The essential feature of a TBI is that the tenant companies leave the incubator space within 2-3 years.
TBIs are promoted to achieve the following objectives:
- Creation of technology based new enterprises,
- Creating value added jobs & services,
- Facilitating transfer of technology,
- Fostering the entrepreneurial spirit,
- Speedy commercialisation of R&D output,
- Specialised services to existing SMEs.
Criteria for selection of location
Ideally a TBI should be located near a source of technology and knowledge i.e. around R&D Institutions/Academic Institutions or it should have strong links with such institutions to ensure optimal use of the already existing expertise and facilities thus keeping the cost of the TBI on lower side. Locating TBIs in such location could also reduce time lag between technology development and its commercialisation. Further, as the success of a TBI largely depends on its location and management besides quality of tenant enterprises, following aspects relating to the HI need to be kept in view while selecting location of the TBI:
- R&D track record and subsequent commercialisation of R&D output,
- Dedicated team of R&D persons,
- Industrial milieu in the region,
- Proximity to other R&D/academic institutions,
- Infrastructure, facilities and expertise available,
- Strong commitment and willingness of the HI.
Each TBI would focus on not more than 2-3 thrust areas. The thrust areas for a TBI would be identified based on the following:
- Expertise and facilities available in the HI,
- Track record of the HI in the chosen areas,
- Industrial climate in the region,
- Market potential/demand in the region.
To begin with, TBIs are proposed to be promoted in following selected thrust areas which have potential for faster growth:
- Information & Communication Technology (ICT)
- Application of bio-technology
- New materials including nano materials
- Instrumentation and maintenance
- Agriculture and allied fields
- Garments and fashion technology
The TBIs should mainly draw upon the existing facilities available in the HI including land and building. However, certain essential facilities, which need to be created in a TBI are given below:
- Modern work space,
- Communication facilities,
- Computing facilities,
- Vital equipment needed in identified area
- Library & information centre
- Training and conference facilities
The TBI may be promoted by the selected HI and DST jointly. The HI has to provide the requisite land and building for the TBI. Other related and interested agencies could also be involved as sponsors.
Each TBI would be required to plan and undertake specified activities based on the identified thrust areas. However, the following set of activities is suggested as general guidelines:
- Provide specialized services to existing SMEs in the region,
- Facilitate technology commercialization,
- Training including short courses,
- Technology related IPR issues, legal and quality assurance services,
- Assistance in obtaining and other clearances,
- Common facilities,
- Assistance in preparation of business plans,
- Technology shows/ technology clinics/ trade fairs.