STUDENTS' CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINARY CODE
Section 1: Preamble
WHEREAS the Hon'ble High Court of Kerala in R P No. 435/2003 (Sojan Francis Vs M G University 2003 (2) KLT 582) has directed all the Colleges/Universities in Kerala to lay down appropriate rules and regulations to enforce discipline in the Campus which will be binding on all the students studying in the colleges/University.
WHEREAS The Hon’ble High Court of Kerala in W P (C) No. 3684/2613 (1) dated 27/03/2013 (P.I Sherief Mohammed, Chairman, Musaliar Education Trust, Pathanamthitta Vs Superintendent of Police Pathanamthitta and Others) had directed to afford protection to the college including ingress and aggress of students , teachers and other staff of the college. Violation of the above direction of the Hon’ble High Court is an offence under the CRPC and liable for registration of FIR under the CRPC.
WHEREAS the Governing Council of the Musaliar College of Engineering and Technology, Pathanamthitta at its meeting decided to evolve a Code of conduct for the students studying in this college and to implement the judgment of the Hon’ble High court in RP No. 435/2003
Now therefore the Governing Body of the Musaliar College of Engineering and Technology, Pathanamthitta does hereby pass this code
Section 2: Title and Commencement
This Code may be called as “Musaliar College of Engineering and Technology, Pathanamthitta Students' Conduct and Disciplinary Code”. The Code shall be deemed to have come into force from the date on which the Governing Body resolved to implement this Conduct and Disciplinary Code.
Section 3: Objectives of the Code
Musaliar College of Engineering and Technology, Pathanamthitta affirms that the sole purpose of this College is to develop high quality technical personnel with a sound footing on basic engineering principles, technical skills, innovative research capabilities and exemplary professional conduct to lead and to use technology for the progress of mankind, adapting themselves to changing technological environment with the highest ethical values as the inner strength. The establishment and maintenance of this prestigious institution is to impart uninterrupted dissemination of knowledge. It is the place where both the teachers and the students are invariably dependent, for the cause of maintaining order and discipline in the Campus facilitating advancement of the very objective of the College. Rules and regulations are therefore meant to mark the contours of this needed order and discipline. It is necessary that the College should cultivate higher values of honesty, integrity, responsibility, mutual respect for persons and property and respect for human rights among its students. In order to achieve this, the student community should necessarily practice these values and see that the rules envisaged in this code are strictly followed so that their conduct will be in conformity with and supportive of and conducive to the College's very objective and cherished values.
Section 4: Applicability of the Code
The Code shall be applicable to all the students admitted to the College, during the period of their life in the Campus and hostels, including any academic program, activity or any event conducted by the College. It is the responsibility and duty of each and every student to become acquainted with all the provisions of the Code. It is presumed that every student is aware of this code from the date of his/her admission to the College to any academic program. All students coming within the above categories are required to strictly adhere to this Code as a condition of their admission to the College and this Code would be binding on and enforceable against them or any among them.
Section 5: Responsibilities of the Students It shall be the responsibility of the students
- To read, become familiar with and adhere to this Code and any amendment brought to this Code,
- To behave and conduct themselves in the College Campus, hostels and premises in a dignified and courteous manner and show due respect to the authorities, employees and elders.
- To follow decent and formal dressing manners,
- To foster and maintain a vibrant academic, intellectual, cultural and social atmosphere which is consistent with the objectives of the College.
- To access all educational opportunities and benefits available at the College and make good use of them to prosper academically and develop scientific temper,
- To respect the laws of the country, human rights and to conduct in a responsible and dignified manner at all times.
- To respect the cultural and social values nurtured and followed by People of this Country,
- To report any violation of this Code to the functionaries under this Code
Section 6: Behavior of the Students
- Groupism of any kind that would distort the harmony is not permitted.
- Students are expected to spend their free time in the Library/Reading Room. They shall not loiter along the verandas or crowd in front of the offices or on the Campus roads. Students should refrain from sitting on places such as parapets, stairs, footpaths etc.
- MCET Campus is a "Smoking free Campus".
- Silence shall be maintained in the premises of the College.
- Students are not permitted to use mobile phones in the Campus.
- Students shall not indulge in any undesirable activity and shall maintain highest standard of discipline.
- Students shall refrain from all activities considered as ragging which is a criminal offense.
- Possession or consumption of narcotic drugs, tobacco, alcohol and other intoxicating substances are strictly prohibited in the Campus and hostels.
- Students are prohibited from indulging in anti-institutional, anti-national, anti-social, communal, immoral or political expressions and activities within the Campus and hostels.
- Politically based students' and other organizations or outfits are not allowed in the Campus. Students are strictly prohibited from organizing, attending or participating in any activity or agitation sponsored by politically based organizations.
- Students shall not deface, disfigure, damage or destroy or cause any loss in any manner to or regarding public, private or College properties.
- Unauthorized entry of outsiders into the campus as well as hostels is strictly prohibited. Without specific permission of the authorities, students shall not bring outsiders to the College or hostels.
- No one shall bring, distribute or circulate unauthorized notices, pamphlets, leaflets etc. within the Campus or hostels. The possession, distribution or exhibition of any item by any means which is per se obscene is prohibited within the Campus or on any property owned/ managed by the College.
- No one shall exhibit any type of banners, flags, boards etc. inside the campus, gates, and buildings or on the compound walls.
- No student shall collect money either by request or by coercion from others within the campus or hostels.
- The College being a sacred place of learning and an exclusive academic zone, nobody shall respond to any call for any form of strike, procession or agitation including slogan shouting, dharna, gherao, burning effigy or indulge in anything which may harm the peaceful atmosphere of the Institution and shall eschew from violence in the Campus and hostels and even outside.
- Engaging in gherao, keeping under captivity or illegally confining any official of the College is prohibited.
- No student shall exert undue influence on fellow students.
- Possession or usage of weapons, explosives or anything that causes injury/ damage to the life and limb or body of any human being or property is prohibited.
- Rash or negligent driving of vehicles in the College premises is prohibited.
- No student shall enter or leave the classroom when the session is on without the permission of the teacher.
- Students charged with criminal offense or under suspension shall not enter the College Campus without the permission of the competent authority.
- Any case of criminal activity or violation of law and order in the College Campus will be reported to the police.
- Students shall only use the waste bins kept within the Campus, class rooms, hostels and offices for dispensing waste materials.
- Any student who is persistently insubordinate, who is repeatedly or willfully mischievous, who is guilty of fraud or mal-practice in connection with examinations or who, in the opinion of the competent authority, is likely to have an unwholesome influence on his/ her fellow students, will be removed from the rolls.
- Any conduct which leads to lowering of the esteem or reputation of the College or its Directors or officials or members of Musaliar Education Trust or Faculties through print or social media is prohibited.
- No student shall scribble on the walls/ windows/ doors /desks or on any other college properties.
- The institution follows the policy of zero tolerance to ragging. The provisions made in the latest directives of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India on this matter will be strictly followed.
- Bullying and harassment weather this is in person or over the internet, text messages or telephone.
- Any form of discrimination, this includes making racist, sexiest or homophobic comments or offensive comments about students or staffs with disability.
Section 7: Disciplinary Sanctions
Any student exhibiting prohibited behavior mentioned in this Code shall, depending upon the gravity of the misconduct or depending on its recurrence, be subjected to any of the following disciplinary sanctions.
- Minor Sanctions
i) Warning or Reprimand
This is the least sanction envisaged in this Code. The student engaged in any prohibited behavior will be issued a warning letter.
ii) Tendering Apology
The student engaged in any prohibited behavior may be asked to tender an apology for his/her act, undertaking that he/she shall not indulge in such or any of the prohibited behavior in future.
2. Major Sanctions
i) Debarring from Examinations
A student/group of students may be debarred from writing all/any/some of the examinations, which forms part of the academic program for which he/she/they/has/ have joined.
A student may be suspended from the College/ Hostel for violation of any of the provisions of this Code. The period of suspension and conditions, if any, shall be clearly indicated in the communication addressed to the student. The student shall lose his/her attendance for the suspended period.
Restitution implies reimbursement in terms of money and/or services to compensate for personal injury or loss, damage/disfiguration to property of the College or any property kept in the premises of the College in any manner. The students/group of students may be asked to compensate for the loss that has been caused to any person or property of the College or any property kept in the premises of the College due to the act of vandalism perpetrated by the students. The students/group of students shall also be liable to put in their service to restore any loss or damage caused to any property and thereby bringing it to its original form if it is possible.
Caution deposit of any student engaged in any prohibited behavior shall be forfeited.
This is the extreme form of disciplinary action and shall be resorted to only in cases where stringent action is warranted. Expulsion is the permanent dismissal of a student from the College. Such a student will not be eligible for readmission to any of the courses of this College.
Section 8: Functionaries under the Code
- Heads of the Departments/ Faculty Advisors/Hostel Coordinator/ Wardens of Hostels
As the persons in charge of the Departments/Hostels, the respective functionaries of all Teaching Departments and Hostels shall have the power and duty to take immediate action to curb any prohibitory behavior as envisaged under this code. As these functionaries cannot single handedly manage the entire issues, they can assign part of the work to the teachers, and the teachers of all the departments/ Wardens have the responsibility to inform any incident of prohibited behavior to the Heads of the Departments/Senior Advisors / Hostel Coordinator so that any serious issue can be settled before the same goes out of control. The Heads of the Departments/ Hostel Coordinator/ Wardens shall have the power to impose minor sanctions as envisaged under section 7(I) of this Code. They can also recommend imposition of major sanctions as envisaged under Section 7(II) of this Code to the Principal. The Head of the Departments/ Senior Advisors/ Hostel Coordinator/ Wardens of Hostels while taking any action as envisaged in the code shall do so in an impartial manner and see to it that the sanction imposed/proposed is commensurate with the gravity of the prohibited behavior. Any lapse on the part of a teacher /Warden to report any instance of violence and misconduct on the part of the students shall be reported to the Principal by the respective Head of the Departments/Senior Advisors /Hostel Coordinator. The Wardens of Hostels shall be responsible for maintaining strict discipline and decorum in the hostel. He/she shall specifically see to it that inmates of the hostel do not involve themselves in violation of any clause under Section 6 of this Code.
Any authority of the College with delegated powers shall have the power to visit/inspect any premises, buildings or any property of the College when there is a genuine doubt that any act of prohibited behavior is taking place and can take any lawful actions to curb such behavior. The HoDs/ Senior Advisors/Hostel Coordinator/ Wardens of Hostels shall report the same to the Principal and recommend to impose major sanctions under Section 7(11) if necessary.
The Principal shall be the ultimate authority in imposing major sanctions as envisaged under Section 7(11) against the students for acts of prohibited behavior. The Principal can also entertain any appeal from any student/students aggrieved by the action of any authority of the College under or subordinate, to the Principal and decide the case on merit.
Section 9: Right to Appeal
The student/students aggrieved by the action of any authority of the College under or subordinate to the Principal can appeal to the Principal and any student aggrieved by the action of the Principal can appeal to the College Council. The decision of the College Council shall be final and binding on the students after approval by the Chairman, Musaliar Education Trust.
Section 10: Assistance from Law Enforcement Agencies
The HoDs/ Hostel Coordinator /Wardens shall have the power and duty to call the Police immediately with the concurrence of the Principal when there is a threat of Law and Order situation in the Campus and also when there is a genuine apprehension that any incident of rioting, vandalism or any other act prohibited by law is likely to take place. The HoDs/ Hostel Coordinator / Wardens shall in such a case give a detailed report to the Principal. The Principal/ HoDs/ Hostel Coordinator /Wardens can also arrange for video recording of the entire situation and take requisite actions through police and other concerned authorities.
Section 11: Grievance Redressal Committee
The College will also set up "Grievance Redressal Committee" where the students can air their grievances. The Committee shall consist of the HoDs/ Senior advisors and also members of the Parent Teacher Association. Till these committees are constituted, ad-hoc committees shall be formed by the Principal.
Section 12: Undertaking by the Students
The students joining any academic program of the College will have to give an undertaking to the effect that he/she will comply with the provisions envisaged in this Code in letter and spirit and even if it is not given by them as well, will be bound by the provisions of this Code.
Section 13: Opportunity for Hearing
No order other than the order suspending or warning a student shall be passed without giving an opportunity of hearing to the student/ students.
Section 14: Ultimate Authority
For all disciplinary matters related to students, the Principal shall be the ultimate authority as provided herein.
Section 15: Amendments to the Code
The Governing Body shall have the power to amend any of the provisions in this Code. The amendments shall be brought to the notice of the students and teachers of the College through notice put on the notice boards of the College.
MUSALIAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY