Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools. It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines. The engineering field requires an understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity. Mechanical engineers use these core principles along with tools like computer-aided engineering, and product lifecycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices, weapons, and others.
Major Areas of study:
- Metallurgy and material science
- Theory and Dynamics of machinery
- Machine design and drawing
- Propulsion and Automobile Engineering, etc.
With the advent of the computer era Mechanical engineering also diversified to accommodate
- computer aided design & manufacturing
- sophisticated and high level machine languages, etc.
Options for Higher studies:
M Tech program with specialization in segments such as
- industrial engineering, etc.
- Design , Development and manufacturing divisions
- Oil and gas exploration, conventional & unconventional source of energy
- Defense and associated services
- Automobile sector and railways
- Merchant ships
- Chemical and process industries
- Fabrication and construction segment
- Propulsion and space engineering
Structure & Syllabus
The four year Mechanical Engineering Degree course is divided into eight semesters.Each year having 2 semesters. Given below are the list of subjects covered in each of the semesters.